Movers handle all of the hard work during the moving process. They conduct the loading and unloading process, as well as the actual relocation of your goods. You can even have them pack all of your belongings for you if you choose to buy full service packing. If this isn’t something you have interest in purchasing, start packing a few weeks ahead of schedule to make sure it’s all ready to go by the date of the move.
Take This Packing Advice to Avoid Complications
- Start packing months before the date of relocation
- Pack up one room at a time starting with the room used the least
- Use the proper packing materials.
- Have a garage sale or contribute items to those in need. This will lessen the amount of belongings to relocate. It may even make the move cheaper.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes. Never overfill a box or make it so heavy that it could bottom out, ruining the contents inside.
- Wrap every dish individually as you stack them in a box.
- Keep all valuables separated in different boxes and containers. Take these with you when you head to the new location.
- Take a picture of electronic hookups before you disassemble them. Then, place all screws and cords in a baggie and tape the bag to the electronic before packing.
- Mark all boxes clearly with the room they are to go in. You may even color code if you would prefer.
- Make a list of all your belongings. Having a list of inventory will help you to make sure all items arrive safe and sound at the new location. Even movers often make their own list. Compare the lists before they leave for the next location.