Whether you are moving down the street across town, or long distance, relocating can be a stressful experience filled with headaches if you have not prepared in advance. With some planning, you won’t have to experience these issues. Here are some top moving tips for you to consider:
• Don’t procrastinate – SF Bay Area Movers recommend removing your unwanted items about 4 weeks out and then packing 2 to 3 weeks ahead of the move.
• Create and organize a workstation – centralize the operation by designating a specific place out of heavily used areas where you keep all your moving supplies (e.g. box cutter, boxes, labels, packing materials, scissors, and tape).
• Start by packing the least used items, including books, pictures, wall art, and seasonal clothing. This will remove the clutter and leave space to pack the rest.
• Box items properly – the general rule is to put heavier items in smaller boxes and lighter items in larger boxes. Glassware and fragile goods must be marked properly to be loaded separately.
• Focus on packing up a single room at a time – stack your packed boxes against a designated wall so they are out of your way. Mark each box per room so you can easily unpack it into your new home’s designated rooms.
• Avoid putting packing tape on painted wood or polished surfaces – packing tape is made with a strong adhesive, which can ruin these surfaces when you remove it
• Label each box according to the room packed in it – be sure to list the contents on the box, as this will make staging and unpacking those boxes easier at your destination. The more important or urgent items (alarm clocks, medications, valuables, etc.) should be packed in clearly marked, easy-to-identify boxes.
Do not pack any items that movers have categorized as “Non-Allowable.” This includes aerosols, charcoal lighters, cleaning solvents, fertilizers, fire extinguishers, fireworks, gasoline, kerosene, paint, paint thinner, pool chemicals, and propane tanks. They want your move to go as smoothly and safely as possible. Before the relocation, you may discuss other aspects of the move with the company. This will help you get the best service and be on the same page for a smooth transit and move.