Whether you are moving down the street across town, or long distance, relocating can be a stressful experience filled with headaches if you have not properly prepared in advance. With a bit of planning, you won’t have to experience these issues. Here are some top moving tips for you to consider:
• Don’t procrastinate – Movers recommend you start getting rid of your unwanted items about 4 weeks out and then start packing 2 to 3 weeks ahead of the move.
• Create and organize a workstation – centralize the operation by designating a specific place out of heavily used areas where you keep all of your moving supplies (e.g. box cutter, boxes, labels, packing materials, scissors, and tape).
• Start by packing the least used items – this includes books, pictures and wall art, seasonal clothing. This will remove the clutter and leave space to pack the rest.
• Box items properly – the general rule of thumb is put heavier items in smaller boxes, lighter in larger boxes. Glassware and fragile goods need to be marked properly so they are loaded separately.
• Focus on packing up a single room at a time – stack your packed boxes against a designated wall so they are out of your way. Mark ach box as per the room so you can unpack it easily into the designated rooms in your new home.
• Avoid putting packing tape on painted wood or polished surfaces – packing tape is made with a strong adhesive which can ruin these surfaces when you are removing it
• Label each box according to the room packed in it – be sure that you list the contents on the box as this will make staging and unpacking those boxes easier at your destination. The more important or urgent items (alarm clocks, medications, valuables, etc.) should be packed in clearly marked, easy to identify boxes.
Do not pack any items that movers have categorized as “Non-Allowable.” This includes aerosols, charcoal lighter, cleaning solvents, fertilizers, fire extinguishers, fireworks, gasoline, kerosene, paint, paint thinner, pool chemicals, and propane tanks. They want your move to go as smoothly and safely as possible. You may discuss other aspects of the move with the moving company before the relocation. This will help you get the best service and be on the same page for a smooth transit and move.