If you are planning to hire a moving company in the San Francisco bay area, you need to ensure that you have all the information that prospective first-time customers will always ask. Here are some of the more commonly asked questions that people ask on a regular basis:
• At what point in the process should my move be scheduled? The sooner you have your move scheduled with the moving company, the better. Moving companies recommend a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks prior to your move so that you can be given the date you need.
• Will the company charge for overtime? Yes, they do. California state law requires that employees who work more than 8 consecutive hours be paid at a rate equal to 1.5 times their normal rate. However, overtime time charges do not apply when the move is calculated at a flat rate.
• How do I ready my appliances for the move? Make sure that your refrigerator has been totally defrosted and that your washing machine is completely drained before they are going to be loaded on the truck.
• Is the company fully insured and licensed? Most of the licensed movers always carry the proper amount of insurance coverage and will gladly provide proof when asked to do so. Furthermore, it is important to check that they are licensed with the state Department of Transportation and the Public Utilities Commission.
• What does moving cost? Local moves (within 100 miles of the origination point) are charged at an hourly rate. Long distance moves (over 100 miles) are charged at a flat rate.
• What insurance coverage does the company provide? Movers carry what is called limited liability insurance and it is the minimum amount that the state requires. You do not pay extra for this as it is included in the flat or hourly rate that you are charged.
Although these are the basics to know before hiring the moving service, you need to ensure that you get free quotes from at least 2-3 companies before shortlisting one of the moving companies. This will help you get the best price and get a chance to save on your move. Thus, call in and schedule an appointment with the movers to accurately evaluate your goods before giving a price.