If you haven’t moved before, you need to know what paperwork will be needed, how moving companies come up with a quote, and what rights you have once your items are loaded into the truck and moved. Knowing the answers to these and everything dealing with moving is important. You should also know what questions you need to ask the moving company before you decide who you will hire for the job. It’s not easy to hire a mover based on what you know. You should have three to five moving companies to choose from. To narrow down your choices, you should ask each one of them the following question or obtain the following information:
- What is their U.S Department of Transportation Registration number and the motor vehicle carrier number? There are currently 28 states that require moving companies to complete the state and U.S DOT registration. You can even search all federally registered moving companies’ complaint history by visiting Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Request a copy of the tariff. This is a list of items that you, the customer, will be charged for. This may include a long carry fee or a stair fee if the movers will be required to take your items upstairs.
- Find out how long the moving company has been in business. This will help you determine what type of reputation they may have.
- Find out who will be a part of your moving project. You will want to know if the moving company offers permanent employees or do they hire temps or casual laborers. Also make sure that background checks have been performed on al involved.
- Receive a copy of the moving company’s information on liability insurance and valuation coverage policy, Bill of Lading, and more. Movers must show proof of liability for any goods they are transporting.
- The quote you receive from the moving company should include an estimated timetable including when they will arrive, move, and be done by.
- Find out what part of the move you will have a part in. Will they do all the moving or are you supposed to have some done.
- Finally, find out how much the move will cost you. Getting an estimate of the cost if the most important thing at this point. You can proceed once you have this price.
Inclusive in Moving Quote
It’s important to know what is included in the price. It could be anything from packing materials to doing the entire move. The quote will most likely include the based weight of your shipment plus the distance you need to move, according to the American Moving & Storage Association. To save yourself some money, try to cut back on the items you are moving. Now is the time to donate, sell, or give away what you can do without. Start your new location off without the clutter. Before you start, take an inventory of everything that you have, what you can consider donating, and charitable organizations that accept what you. Have to donate. When you cut down what you have to transport, you can save yourself some money. Ask friends and family for any recommendations on moving companies and view each moving company online before you hire them.