The following guide is provided to Bay Area Mover customers to help them with the moving process from start to finish.

Bay Area Moving Licensing Requirements

All professional moving companies are required to have proper state licensing. Unfortunately there are con artists out there. To avoid these scammers, make sure the moving company you hire has the licensing required. They may also have other certifications to prove their reliability as a mover.

Here are the Licenses and Certifications a Mover Should or Could Have to Prove Their Reliability…

USDOT Number

Anyone that uses commercial vehicles to haul cargo on the interstate must be registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to gain a USDOT Number. For the purpose of state audits, compliance reviews, investigations and inspections, the USDOT Number serves as a form of identification. This makes it easier to watch over the mover’s safety information. To receive a USDOT Number, the moving company must obey all federal regulations and go through an application process.

PUC Permits

As another requirement, a moving company must show financial and safety accountability to obtain a PUC Permit which is through the Public Utilities Commission. Part of this includes proving that the required amount of insurance coverage is carried. The mover must also be asked to undergo a criminal background check by the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation.

BBB Approval

A moving company with Better Business Bureau accreditation has met the accreditation standards which include:

  • Maintaining a positive reputation in the moving industry
  • Have been operational in the industry for at least 6 months
  • Have all the proper state licensing and bonding requirements. Proof is required during the application process and periodically thereafter
  • Maintain at least a B rating with the BBB
  • Cooperate with BBB activities, meet all standards, honor any settlements and decisions, and complete the application process and pay all monetary obligations
  • Follow the BBB Code of Advertising as well as all federal, state and local advertising laws
  • Stay honest about your business and all its services
  • Abide by all written and verbal agreements
  • Take care of any marketplace disputes immediately and professionally
  • Protect any information you receive from your customers and respect their privacy
  • Show integrity to all commitments with businesses, transactions and commitments

Commercial Licensing

A mover uses commercial vehicles to haul cargo. This requires a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Persons with this license are held to a higher standard and must pass the required testing and stipulations.